Pages

The Patronus Charm

I had no idea what I was doing.
The first few meetings had been easy- learning simple defensive spells and charms, brushing up on history of the dark arts- but now, we had come to more advanced spells and I was lost. The Disarming Charm was a simple slight of the hand, but the Patronus Charm? I knew it had been ages since the Dumbledore's Army meetings had begun, but I was still so unprepared for a charm of such difficulty. We'd been practicing for the last month and I still was making no progress.
I was used to picking up on everything so easily. I saw other witches and wizards who were struggling just last week summon slight silvery figures out of their wands, magical creatures and beasts of all forms. None were solid just yet, they were all very ghost-like (this was the Patronus Charm after all- many graduates had never gotten the hang of it!) but I still felt quite discouraged.
"What's the matter?"
Roxanne Weasley showed up without any fuss at my side, discreet and observant as always. She was a quiet girl, a prefect who always knew the right thing to say. I always thought it was nice a girl two years older would even talk to me.
"I just...I've listened to the explanation so many times, but I can't even get anything to come out of my wand. I feel like a failure."
She smiled warmly.
"You're not failing."
My eyebrows furrowed.
"I'm not?"
"No. It's really alright. You can't even imagine how frustrated I was when I was your age. Even at third year, you really want to get all the spells right and do well on all your exams. Believe me, though, getting everything right on the first or second or whatever try isn't important. You're trying, and that's enough. Everyone sees how hard you're working. You aren't failing at all.
Even right now, my Patronus isn't that impressive, but I'm still proud of getting as far as I have. I'm a Weasley, I have my stubborn will to drive me."
Something in her eyes glimmered. Her confidence rubbed off somehow.
"Can I see you summon yours?"
"Oh, definitely. Seeing others perform is sometimes all it takes."
She stepped away from me, backing up. I could see other students glancing our way. Roxanne hadn't done this before; after all, she was one of the few mentors here who hadn't already shown off.
"Expecto Patronum!"
There was a fire in her expression, and moments later a silver form descended from her wand onto stone floor. It was a creature I had never seen before. Her Patronus was like one of those royal birds you'd find only in the rain forest- despite being gray, it had a multitude of shades sprawling its wingspan. It was small, hardly bigger than my arm's length, but still had a strong aura like its mistress. Most of all, its blazing eyes stared through everyone in the room.
Its figure was still transparent at some parts, but the bird-creature commanded attention. Roxanne's Patronus had presence.
I breathed out, not realizing I'd been holding it in with awe.
"What is she called?"
"A Flifferhuzza."
I heard a few snorts erupt in the crowd surrounding.
She smiled, but not all out of humor.
"You're welcome to laugh, but don't make light of her. The Flifferhuzza is rare species, only known to appear to the most worthy witches and wizards."
With a flick of her hand, the Patronus was gone.
Roxanne turned away and patted my shoulder.
"You'll get it soon, I know it."
And then she strode off to another struggling student.
I smiled.
"Thank you, Roxanne and your Flifferhuzza."

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, a nice bit of fan fiction here. And you certainly found a world where the word flifferhuzza could exist believably.

    ReplyDelete